Halloween is right around the corner. You’ve planned the costumes, decorated the house, and of course, stocked up on Halloween candy … right?? Many people put off the candy purchase as long as possible. It’s too easy to snack a bit, here and there, till that bulk candy bag doesn’t look so massive anymore! Or maybe it’s your kids who are tempted, and you’re just trying to keep them from getting hopped up on sugar prior to Oct. 31.
Don’t worry, we’re not judging you! The dental professionals at our practice aren’t anti-candy. We aren’t suggesting you be “that house” that hands out raisins or apples! Most of our team gives out candy to trick-or-treaters, and we allow our own children to enjoy extra sweets for Halloween.
A sugary special occasion once in a while is okay, you just need to be a little extra diligent about your home care. Halloween is also a perfect time to revisit the topic of proper brushing and flossing with kids. If there was ever a time to reinforce good dental habits, this is it!
If you’d like to pass out something healthier than candy, that’s great! Here are some fun alternatives to consider. Some of these will be a big hit no matter what. For other items, look for them with popular characters from kids’ movies, TV shows and books.
- Mini fidget spinners
- Glow sticks and other glow-in-the-dark items
- Kid-themed temporary tattoos
- Mini squirt guns
- Mini flashlights
- Activity and coloring books
- Mini stuffed animals (Beanie Babies etc.)
- Packs of sugar-free gum in kid-friendly flavors (bonus points if it contains Xylitol, which is better for teeth!)
- Bouncy balls, Slinkies, etc.
- Playing cards
- Crayons, stamps, pencils, erasers
- Mini Play-Doh packs
- Halloween accessories: plastic vampire fangs, spider rings, slap bracelets, key chains, etc.
Whether you choose to hand out traditional candy or something different, candy and sweets will be everywhere during Halloween week. Stay vigilant about brushing and flossing, drink water in between brushing, and follow your dentist’s recommendations – and the only scares you’ll have will be the fun kind!