Teeth are alive, but it’s easy to forget that and take them for granted. At Future of Dentistry, we never take teeth for granted; but then again, as dental professionals, we probably understand better than most just how amazing teeth can be.
We’re using this blog post to share some of the more interesting facts about teeth. Here are a few facts you might not know about them.
15 Interesting Dental Facts
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as vital as your teeth.
- Some prescription drugs can increase your risk of tooth decay.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of children between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated cavities.
- Heartburn can be damaging for teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as adverse for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself, though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab.
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit us regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
At Future of Dentistry, we want all of our patients to have clean and healthy teeth, along with beautiful smiles. Patients from throughout Greater Boston and Merrimack Valley come to us for cosmetic and general dentistry. Request an appointment today!
Contact Future of Dentistry:
Locations (Tap Below To Open Your Office In Google Maps):
Future of Dentistry at Willows – North Andover/Willows Dental Group
795 Turnpike St
North Andover, MA 01845