Preventing tooth decay is one of the main reasons people come to us at Future of Dentistry at Willows – North Andover. In this blog post, we’ll describe five things you should know about cavities.
- Cavities mean tooth decay. They happen when certain bacteria produce acids that destroy a tooth’s hard surface, called enamel, and the underlying dentin.
- Factors that contribute to cavities include poor flossing and brushing habits, consuming too much sugar, and between-meal eating without cleaning.
- Symptoms of tooth decay include tooth pain, sensitivity to hot and cold foot and beverages, and pain while chewing.
- Cavities are most common among children, but adults can get them too.
- Tooth decay is preventable. Be sure to brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, floss at least once, eat right, avoid frequent snacking, and have regular dental checkups.
At Future of Dentistry at Willows – North Andover we want all our patients to enjoy the best possible dental health. Patients from throughout Greater Boston and Merrimack Valley come to us for complete general and restorative dentistry. Contact us today!