The last thing you want to do on a summer day is run to the dentist’s office for an emergency visit. But all too often, our summertime habits create problems that must be fixed immediately. Here are some tips for putting your best face — and smile — forward during the summer.
• Dental care doesn’t take a vacation. It’s tough to keep your oral hygiene routine when you’re away, but it’s worth it. Keep brushing and flossing twice a day and you’ll help keep your vacation worry-free.
• Use a mouth guards for summer sports. Over-the-counter guards are okay for the occasional pickup game, but if you or your kids are very active in sports, talk to us about a custom-fit guard. They offer far greater protection for your mouth and head.
• Watch out for “problem foods” that are common in the summer. If your teeth aren’t in great shape, it’s best to avoid corn on the cob. But even if your mouth is in stellar shape, be sure to floss soon after eating. Not just where you feel those little strands and pieces — floss all your teeth! Ice is another danger, so try to resist the temptation to chew the cubes from your cup. Be careful with dried fruit too. It’s healthier than candy and convenient for outings, but it’s not great for teeth, especially when you can’t brush till hours after eating.
• Staying hydrated is essential during the summer, but watch out for ice tea, lemonade, sports and energy drinks, alcoholic beverages, and soda. The sugar and acid can cause serious problems. You don’t have to drink water all the time. But if you’re drinking a sugary, acidic beverage, try to enjoy it all in one sitting. Sipping over the course of a day doesn’t give your mouth a chance to recover from the unhealthy ingredients.
• Outings with family and friends often means snacking. Try to stick to fresh veggies, fruits, and granola. Carb-heavy snacks are bad for your teeth as well as your health. The same goes for sugary snacks and those made with high-fructose corn syrup.
• Oral care includes the lips, so don’t forget the SPF15 lip balm!
• Many people want to whiten for special occasions during the summer. Talk to our staff about our two summer offers in honor of our 25th anniversary — you can get 25% off laser whitening or $25 off custom whitening trays.
Enjoy the rest of the summer!